Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Just to blog my reply to a friend.


CKTan,
Read your blog, very interesting travel tales and life style too !. Keep up the burning spirit of life and travel all over the World as long as your health can take it. Guess presently you are happy doing the Burmese/Thai border stuff but just be careful there cas. things can just turn nasty for no good reason from what I gathered from friends that had passed there.One young lady friend of mine had just returned from Burma and she had many interesting tales to share from her exposure there. Many poor kids indeed needs assistance in education etc but unfortunately the politicians/army generals are not seeing eye to eye on such priorities !. Hopefully Malaysia will not turn its clock back after so much progress after 1957 but things are not very healthy presently with the crazy politicians playing their cards to win votes.
Guess am apolitical but as one age, one has to reflect back and at times feel sad too if the future generation has to face an up hill climb for what we could have flatten with common sense.
Right now, am still angry with myself for trusting one of my staff that had ran away with house money for the monsoon period at Kapas Island !. We worked so hard to get the place up and running, earned with our blood sweat and tears,,,,,,and this guy just pocket all the saving which was entrusted to him. How can someone be so selfish and leave the rest of my island crew high and dry ?. In fact, I have help trained not less than 50 odd staffs members at my island Longhouse since 1991 onwards,,,,,and many are very successful businessman running their small set-up. With this incident, its the 2nd time that am been disappointed. The 1st incident was in 1994 whereby one of the staff sold my outboard motor after reporting it as been stolen !. This guy was from Malacca and just release from prison plus "kena buang daerah" to Marang, since he came sadly over to the island looking for a job and a place to stay, I took him on board. After 1 year, he started to act funny with the customers plus also sold my boat engine !!!!,,,again he got away with his nonsense and till today am still looking for him.
So there are now two characters that are on my list.
Guess my style of charity is to train/mentor other to survive in this World.
In fact, I have trained not less than 48 helicopter pilots for the Royal Malaysian Air force and a few dozen more in the civilian set-up in Bristow Helicopters and Malaysian Helicopter Services after leaving the RMAF.
The last 22 years with the Oil & Gas company (Shell) have been very fruitful too and had been involved not only in the aviation business but also in numerous E&P business plus IT development projects. My previous role in Shell was as the Asia Pacific Regional Logistics Strategist & Planner and presently as Project Manager for Co-developing and Implementation of an IT Logistics tool known as GLMS (Global Logistics Management System) for the Shell Group. Actually i retired in June 2006 but the Company asked me to continue for another 2 years which ended on 30th Sept'08,,,,and has further requested for an extension !. I have agreed to stay until end of 2008 and wish to return back to my island hideaway at Kapas Island for a long deserved break from the rat race !.
I would like to build more wooden chalets around the Iban Longhouse and create a mini-Malaysia concept at my joint on the island.
Perhaps make a movie or write a journal on the island ?. After all, I have 2 guys to hunt too !!!!!!,,,,,,,its a manhunt, much more challenging than wild boar.Cheersmate,